Doug nails it with this one.
Always wondered about IWB’s as opposed to the multiple iPads you could buy for the price of an IWB. Next time a proposal for the use of a whiteboard comes out wonder if I should just ask for the equivalant dollars in tablets. Also in addiition to Refelction you have to also look at Airserver or Doceri Desktop.
- Interactive white boards Apple TV or Reflection will project the iPad screen on which the student or teacher can display work.
- Student response systems. PollEverwhere, Socrative, and GoSoapBox are among the programs that use tablets [or netbooks] or cellphones instead of “clickers.”
- Document cameras. Point the tablet camera at the object and project. iPad stands are under $20.
- Graphing calculators. Use an app.
- GPS systems. Built into phones and tablets.
- Labs. Unless one doing high end video editing or copious amounts of keyboarding, who needs a desktop or full-sized keyboard? List three features in Word that youd miss if you only used GoogleDocs.
A real nice look at leadership and how to affect change. What struck me is that when we look at change, based on our survey data regarding the switch to Ubermix, is that we might be on the right track. Make the environment look as similar to what the students are used to as possible?
Everything seems different. Change is meant to bring something different, but how different? We are creatures of habit. Routines become automatic, but change jolts us into consciousness, sometimes in uncomfortable ways. Too many differences can be distracting or confusing. Leaders should try to minimize the number of unrelated differences introduced by a central change. Wherever possible keep things familiar. Remain focused on the important things; avoid change for the sake of change
So we always start our pitch with coins. Coins are the things that you can fix, things that the team can build with their current capabilities, validated improvements that will lead to incremental growth. If you start a relationship or a meeting with coins, then everybody gets comfortable. The cow is going to get sold, and nobody is going to bed hungry and sleeping on their front. Once you’ve proved yourself with some incremental change, clients and colleagues become much more relaxed when you show up with a wand and a pointy hat to demonstrate how big you can really think.
I find this interesting about a few different I have encountered. Use coins…!!!